What is GIS?
- Geographical information is the information about where things are located. Geospatial information
underlies almost all the activities undertaken by government. Geospatial technology broadly includes mapping and surveying techniques,
remote sensing, Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Geographical Information System (GIS). The technology can be used to acquire,
integrate and analyze geographically-referenced spatial information. This technology has emerged as an effective tool for planning,
decision making and monitoring in the Government. Many states in India like Gujarat, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh etc have successfully
adopted this technology in the government departments. GIS technology can bring unparallel benefits to the Government departments as it
supports quick decision making, planning and monitoring, resulting in huge savings of time and resources.
GIS in Punjab
- The first comprehensive initiative to establish GIS was taken in a meeting held under the chairmanship
of Chief Secretary, Punjab on 22.04.2013, where a decision was taken to set up GIS for a wide range of departments. In the meeting it was
also decided that the department of Planning be made the nodal department for coordinating the entire work related to setting up of GIS.
Accordingly a dedicated GIS cell has been created in the Economic & Statistical Organisation (ESO), Punjab. GIS cell will coordinate all
the activities related to GIS. Punjab Remote Sensing Centre, (PRSC), Ludhiana will provide entire technical support for the establishment
State Level Committee on GIS
- A state level committee on GIS has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Financial Commissioner, development with the following as members:
- Financial Commissioner, Revenue
- To popularize use of data from reliable sources and to promote integrity and impartiality of Official Statistics.
- Principal Secretary, Governance Reforms
- Principal Secretary, Health & Family Welfare
- Principal Secretary, School Education
- Secretary, Planning
- Secretary, Science & Technology
- Mrs. Bhawna Garg, IAS, Special Invitee
Punjab Remote Sensing Centre, Ludhiana and GIS cell, ESO
- Punjab Remote Sensing Centre (PRSC), Ludhiana is the key technical agency for the GIS project in
the State. A dedicated cell has been created in ESO to provide support to PRSC in execution of the project. PRSC and GIS cell jointly
prepared a Short-term Action Plan for Punjab GIS which has been approved by the Chief Secretary.
- The Punjab Government has approved a Plan scheme under ESO for funding of the GIS project in the State.
- A short term Action Plan for Punjab GIS prepared by GIS cell and PRSC, Ludhiana has been approved by the Chief Secretary.